Friday, February 22, 2013

Thrift Shop Gown

what to wear with navy evening gown nude heels silver accessoriesnavy evening gown with silver necklace and nude heels
what color shoes and accessories to wear with navy evening gown dresscolor accessories to pair with navy blue evening dress
what color shoes purse to wear with a navy evening dress
what color accessories to wear with a navy evening gown

If Macklemore invited me to an awards show, this is probably what I would wear. In case you didn't know, Macklemore is the singer/rapper behind "Thrift Shop", that catchy song on the radio embracing low-end shopping and clothes recycling.


I have mad respect for Macklemore, not only because he is rocking those batman pajamas in the video, but because he raps about important, inspiration topics in his other songs, like his addiction problems and consumerism.

As to why I would be a perfect date for Macklemore, it's because the evening gown I'm wearing in these pictures came from a store whose name starts with "Good" and ends in "will". In light of the Oscars on Sunday, I wanted to style this gown as though it was going to walk the red carpet. I like to imagine that someone was donating their mother's old clothing and accidentally tossed out this gem. What kind of event did the previous owner wear this dress to? What was the owner like? I love vintage items because they always come with a story, and I wish I could hear about all the places they've been!

By the way, do you remember when Alexander McQueen's skull clutches were all the rage?
alexander mcqueen skull clutch

The gold clutch I'm carrying is in a similar style, but without the beautiful detailing in the original. Still, I bet the knuckle protectors on my clutch would serve me well in a bar fight---if I will ever need to knock anyone out at a fancy awards show, that is!

This photoshoot is the surprise that I promised all of you on Wednesday, so I hope it lived up to your expectations---I certainly enjoyed the challenge of photographing a thrift shop dress so that it looked like a new evening gown. Let me know in the comments if you want more posts like this one!


15 comments:

  1. WOW...first of all, you look incredible in that slim velvet gown! What a lovely item to find :) And the clutch is also a beaut...I love the knuckle rings!

    <3 Cambria

    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cambria! I agree, the clutch is a knock-out (pun intended haha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dress, you look great in it!

    Would you like to follow each other?

    http://evamilano.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning look!!! Amazing photos... and your sandals... I love it! :)
    www.styleofdarina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I just came across your blog, and I love it! I’ve
    decided to follow you! If you get a minute, I’d love to know what you think of
    my latest outfit post! While you’re visiting, follow along so we can keep in
    touch! :)

    xo, elle from Living
    in Color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful and elegant dress. hehe you chose such a good location for this outfit shoot too! Love it babe!

    Fang Ting

    ftashion

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the gown on you and these photos are stunning! Your strappy nude shoes are to die for. Are they recent?

    I love the Thrift shop song and I don't buy a lot of music but I just had to purchase his MV on iTunes. :)

    Jess

    What Jess Wore

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous dress! And from a thrift store. Those are the best finds! You look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jess, I'm on kind of a shopping hiatus, so these are just sandals I had from Ross, I think. They might turn up at another Ross store or a TJMaxx. You never know if they'll restock the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, I love thrift store finds! Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omgosh i can't believe you found this dress at a thrift shop!! what an amazing thrift shop find!! velvet dresses are so pretty and so perfect for winter time!!! love your strappy shoes too! so cute!


    www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much, Lisa! I love thrifting; it's like going on a treasure hunt and not knowing what you'll find :)

    ReplyDelete

I try to read and reply to every comment, and I will be more than happy to reciprocate by visiting your site. If you have any questions about me, check out my About Me page.