Monday, March 4, 2013

San Antonio Photo Diary





For spring break, I didn't go anywhere fancy or exotic. Instead, I took a road trip to historic San Antonio, and there was so much to do that I wish I had stayed longer! My boyfriend and I are the type of people who like to poke around historic sites and parks, so the rich history and culture of the Riverwalk was more than enough for us.



This was the mariachi band that played for us during dinner. My boyfriend had arranged for them to sing and play a romantic song for me---I was embarrassed at first, but it was a wonderful surprise!


The next day, we went to see the Alamo. The Alamo is an important monument in Texas history: this is where a band of soldiers died defending the state's freedom. Thousands of Mexican troops had surrounded the Alamo, but Commander Travis famously declared "Victory or Death!" and refused to surrender. And this is the place of these mens' brave sacrifice.

Monuments like the Alamo really affect me because I can't imagine standing where hundreds of men were slaughtered. Also, I can't believe that they built the River Center Mall about 10 feet from where I'm standing! I think it is kind of insulting to these dead men that the place where they gave up their lives has been turned into a shopping complex. When I stood next to the Alamo, I realized how small and vulnerable it was, a startling juxtaposition to the giant mall nearby. Shame on you, San Antonio city planners.


(Although I'm totally guilty of stopping by the mall. This is from the Sanrio store. Check out this "beach Hello Kitty". Why is she so dark? It's 'cause she's tanning


We finished our visit with a trip up the Tower of the Americas, which juts 190 meters into the air and offers dizzying views of the city. There's also a rotating restaurant at the top, which we didn't have time to visit, unfortunately.


That's all for now; I hope you enjoyed living vicariously through my photo diary! I hope to visit some more cool places and take more pictures for you guys <3


5 comments:

  1. Hi :) I like your style and blog..(perfect skirt :) )... so this is why I chose to nominate it for the "Liebster Award." I hope you'll check it out!

    www.styleofdarina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Darina! I'll definitely try to post my responses by Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Madara :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. your pictures are gorgeous! I want to eat the food! and you look really cute =]

    http://shortandsweetjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I try to read and reply to every comment, and I will be more than happy to reciprocate by visiting your site. If you have any questions about me, check out my About Me page.