Friday, March 1, 2013

Wheel of Everyday Life

prabal gurung for target strappy heels with tux jacket and forever 21's givenchy print dress
gunilla klingberg at rice university gallery of art
forever21's version of the givenchy flower print dress
white tux jacket with black lapels and knuckle clutch
givenchy flower print dress from forever21, prabal gurung for target black strap heels
black cage heels from prabal gurung for target
prabal gurung for target heels and givenchy flower print dress

There's a special room at Rice called the Rice Gallery that's reserved for "dynamic site-specific installation art". Every few weeks, artists are commissioned to build something special for the space: I have seen everything from paper cutouts covering the walls to sharp spikes that almost seem to impale the viewer.

Today, when I visited the Gallery, Gunilla Klingberg's "Wheel of Everyday Life" greeted me. Klingberg had taken labels from common stores and brands, and made it into a pattern that covered the windows and floor. 

To match Klingberg's overlay of patterns, I wore a Forever21 dress with a repeating pattern, and patterned strappy heels (from Prabal Gurung x Target). My black and white tuxedo blazer completed the look, while still staying within the stark contrasts of Klingberg's exhibit.

I love how Klingberg was able to take brand names like Wal-mart and Target, and mix them into a beautiful and intricate-looking pattern. Her pattern play really sparked the idea for this outfit---as I like to say, fashion is a form of art, and the two complement each other very well!

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! I love your sandals... gorgeous look :)
    www.styleofdarina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your dress and heels dear! you look stunning! xx

    Letters
    To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her idea is really cool! And I get your translation of it into your dress (which is gorgeous, by the way:)). And your blazer is pretty awesome too!
    http://www.forpeetssake.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. your dress is adorable!

    http://livinginash0e.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. omgosh love this outfit! from your gorgeous dress to your black and white tuxedo blazer and your AMAZING strappy shoes omgosh love!! you look fabulous hon!

    www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely, I have a blazer like that, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bold, bright, graphic print is super on trend...love that you styled it with a pair of equally statement-making heels! Amazing style.


    <3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this look, it's classy, chic and edgy !

    www.universeandyou.com.br

    xoxo from japan

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's an awesome print on the dress!

    the STYLE Fringe BLOG

    http://the-stylefringe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful outfit! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment on my blog! I'm your newest GFC follower. Feel free to follow me back if you'd like! :)

    Katie
    Style Diary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm inlove with this look! The printed dress is to die for <3




    http://lovetheprincesscafe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. really pretty outfit;} everything is so put together, dress is beautiful;}x

    http://throughartrelatedtofashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. The F21 dress is stunning on you! I would have never guessed that it was F21 and not sure how I missed this gem. I love how you styled it from head to toe with the blazer and those killer heels.



    Jess
    What Jess Wore

    ReplyDelete

I try to read and reply to every comment, and I will be more than happy to reciprocate by visiting your site. If you have any questions about me, check out my About Me page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...