Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Last Great Debate || Bright and Light Pink

Hot pink blazer and light pink dress
Coral and pink scarf with all-pink outfit and blazer
Wearing different shades of pink together: hot pink on top and light pink underneath
Monochrome pink outfit

Blazer: 9 and Co., similar here from ChicWish ($48) || Dress: Forever21, similar here from Ivy and Blue || Bag: Forever21, love this design from BCBG ($29.99) || Scarf: Ross, similar here ($15) || Shoes: Zara, similar here


For the past four years, I have never celebrated my birthday here at Rice. I have always been on the road, in a foreign city, mingling with competitors and vying for a trophy. Our national debate tournament always takes place on my special day, which means that I'm forced to wake up at an ungodly hour, stuff myself into a suit and spend the entire day listening to people telling me why my arguments are wrong. Sometimes, I have judges tell me "happy birthday" before they launch into a list of reasons that they have to vote against me; more often than I'd like to admit, the universe gives me a losing record as a birthday present. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

This past weekend was my last debate tournament ever. Even though it hasn't fully sunk in yet, I already feel lost. After all, I've been doing this activity for 7 years, and it's part of how I construct my identity: "I'm Brittney. I debate for Rice." At the expense of sounding dramatic, I have to ask, where do I go from here? Who will I argue with now?

I started debating sophomore year of high school, and I could never have guessed how much it would change my life. In the time since, debate has transformed me from a gangly, shy girl into an authoritative and confident woman. Without debate, I could not have become an advocate writing about race and body image, I could not have interned in D.C., and I would not have developed any research and public speaking skills. But more than just being the top activity on my resume, debate has given me a family: my team here and in high school have become some of my closest friends. And I'm devastated that I have to let all of that go.

I'm sure that I will find new team dynamics in my future, and I'm sure that I will find some activity to fill the void. But to the community of judges, competitors, and coaches---thank you so much for some of the best years of my life, the time spent discussing social issues, staying up late and collaborating, and the adrenaline-fueled Final rounds. I'll be sure to dedicate next year's birthday toast to all of you. And in honor of the many drab debate blazers that I've worn to threads, here is a bright pink tribute in their place.

Cheers,



19 comments:

  1. You've been so dedicated to debating, by the sounds of it! Good on you for getting into it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Александра ЗахароваApril 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM

    You have an amazing hobby, indeed. Wishing you lots of luck in this interesting affair.
    Oh, and I really love the way you look! That rosy blazer is simply adorable:) It looks so refreshing and chic on you. Those photographs are adorable as well:)

    Wish you a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Jane. It was definitely a great experience to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I don't really think it's overly dramatic to ponder what your new identity is without a hobby that was such a big part of your life! We kind of go through this over and over in life...re-defining who we are in each stage..high school, college, career, parenthood etc. It's great that you had such a rewarding experience on your debate team and I hope you *are* able to find something to fill that void for your next stage of life!
    Gina
    On the Daily Express

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks--I do have quite a lot of pink in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the outfit. The pink is a really great shade on you!

    You're definitely not being dramatic. I wasn't in debate, but I was involved with a number of activities that I felt completely defined certain parts of my life, and it's hard to let go. I'm sure you'll find something else to fill the void, but that something is still TBD....which is scary!! It's such a weird time in life, isn't it?

    xo Jackie

    Something About That

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress, the pink blazer is perfect on you. xx

    www.shineonsilver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. All good things eventually come to an end to bring a new beginning! I hope whatever lies in store for you brings you more happiness than debate did, and I know it will! You have a life time of memories to enjoy, and you picked the perfect outfit. You look amazing. x

    http://nativeblush.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the pink blazer :)

    http://myfashioncabin.blogspot.com/2014/04/dressale-collaboration-bring-on-shoe.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. sorry that you last debate has ended but i know new opportunities would come soon! i love your outfit here love the pop of pink!

    wishing you a great weekend!

    Delightful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dress! And the way you tied your scarf is so fun!


    xo Kylie
    www.dressinsparkles.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looove the outfit! I bet debating must have been really important for you, I've heard suff second-hand from the debate team in my high school. Hope you will find a replacement (or, how about coaching a high school debate team?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I definitely want to spend some time helping out with high schools students; nothing like passing down knowledge to the next generation of debaters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend just bought a dress like this one and has a pink blazer. I'll have to show her this post! It's awesome to hear about your experience with debate - it always made me so nervous but it seems empowering!

    MI VIVERE

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pink blazer and cute dress!

    chrissabella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a darling outfit <3
    http://www.thelacunastitch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Mariah. I'd love to pay your blog a visit if you drop your link here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://mariahruthel.blogspot.com :)

    ReplyDelete

I try to read and reply to every comment, and I will be more than happy to reciprocate by visiting your site. If you have any questions about me, check out my About Me page.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...